Plastic Surgery Blog
Needles in your lips may not sound so exciting but I assure you, and Britney Spears agrees, that the plump luscious result is ‘pretty fun’. The Perfume star opens up in the January 2014 issue of InStyle about her experience with cosmetic surgery, which most starlets in Hollywood keep tightly under raps.
“I just bought the new Shiseido face wash and moisturizer. I have no problem trying new brands. A doctor I see, [Beverly Hills plastic surgeon] Dr. [Raj] Kanodia, does fun stuff to me sometimes — I’ve had lip injections before. He has this peptide-based face-care product; it’s green and slimy, and you mix it together and put it on your face. It does wonders. You leave it on overnight. Can you tell I love skin care?”
Yep, we can. By the looks of her cover photo, her skin looks fabulous and her lips look amazing but who knows what is real or not with the magic of photoshop these days!
As a preferred provider with Allergan, Dr. Scott K. Thompson of Thompson Facial Plastics was first amongst a select group in Utah to incorporate Juvederm Voluma XC into his practice in November 2013 and has noted considerable correction to mid-face volume loss amongst recipients.
Allergan, Inc. announced on October 23rd that Juvederm Voluma™ XC had been approved for use as a temporary treatment for volume loss in the cheeks associated with aging. Dr. Scott K. Thompson, M.D. of Thompson Facial Plastics was excited and eager to begin incorporating this hyaluronic acid into his practice as the first FDA approved filler for the mid-face. As a Preferred Provider with Allergan and notable Facial Plastic Surgeon with numerous years of experience in facial rejuvenation, Dr. Scott Thompson was chosen amongst a select group of doctors in Utah to begin early use in November, 2013 before full release on December 3rd, 2013. Results have been phenomenal with heightened popularity.
“I’m excited to be offering the first FDA-approved product specifically for the mid-face to patients with age-related volume loss. It’s an exceptional addition to the repertoire of non-surgical options from Allergan (others include Botox, Juvederm Ultra & Ultra Plus XC) and only expands my options in facial rejuvenation and correction. Administration is safe and the results are instant, natural-looking and long-lasting. Current studies show this revolutionary product to last approximately 2 years, which is much longer than any other filler on the market today,” said Dr. Scott Thompson, Double Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon.
As the top facial plastic surgeon in Utah, Dr. Thompson has been administering Botox and dermal fillers daily for numerous years and seen an increase in the popularity of such non-surgical procedures. “Continued use of fillers and Botox delay or prevent the need for surgical correction and are quick, safe and effective in treating age-related concerns.” said Dr. Thompson who is known for his Liquid Facelift through the use of injectables, in-office MACS-lift, and full facelift amongst other facial procedures.
Dr. Thompson uses a beneficial micro cannula technique when administering this product. The micro cannula is blunt-tipped which minimizes pain level and side-effects. Through this technique, he is able to cover a larger area resulting in less risk of bruising and swelling. Patients can return to work and normal activity immediately following the procedure.
Dr. Scott Thompson is dual board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. He is known for his natural-looking results and meticulous skill as well as his genuine concern for patient well-being and satisfaction. He practices in three locations and five surgical centers along the Wasatch front in Utah.
Thompson Facial Plastics offers a wide variety of surgical and non-surgical procedures to correct and prevent signs of aging and enhance overall beauty. Botox, lip augmentation, and dermal wrinkle fillers are popular non-surgical procedures as well as laser resurfacing, chemical peels, and laser hair removal. Surgical procedures offered include blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery), facelift, in-office facelift (MACS-lift), rhinoplasty (nosejob), septorhinoplasty, otoplasty (ear-pinning surgery), browlift, midfacelift, and hair restoration. Thompson Facial Plastics may be reached at (801)776-2220 or by visiting utahfacialplastics.com.
I really did my research on this one ladies! Here’s the ultimate guide to solving the trickiest of beauty troubles and I promise it won’t disappoint. You may love this list so much you laminate it and post it on your mirror…just saying.
1. Dry feet? Add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to 1/2 cup of coconut oil. Mix and apply to feet in a circular motion to exfoliate dead skin!
2. For puffy eyes, try cool cucumbers, frozen tea bags, potatoe slices, or my favorite, an ice pack from our office to help decrease puffiness and inflammation.
3. Dull hair? Whisk together 1 egg, 2 tablespoons coconut oil, and 2 tablespoons sesame oil. Apply to dry hair and wrap in hot, moist towels for 5-10 minutes. Work in shampoo into dry hair, rinse and condition as usual.
4. Use your toothbrush in circular motions to exfoliate dry lips before applying your lipstick. And while you’re at it…
5. Take that toothbrush and comb out an mascara clumps you may have as well!
6. Burn yourself with your hair iron? No worries, grab some raw honey and thickly layer over sore spot for immediate relief.
7. If your nail polish bubbles when it dries on your nails, try storing your nail polish in the fridge to prevent this from ever happening.
8. Have long last red face syndrome after exercising? Pop and antihistamine and you’ll be on your way!
9. Add 2 crushed aspirin to your favorite shampoo to turn it into an amazing dandruff-blasting product!
10. Out of dry shampoo? Try baby powder or a dab of lemon juice to soak up the oil.
11. Pimple problems? Dab a bit of full-fat Greek yogurt on that sucker and let it try out (approx. 20 minutes) before rinsing with warm water to reduce inflammation and redness.
12. Dab a bit of chapstick around the base of your nostrils to soothe dry skin when you have a cold. And maybe clean it off before using it on your lips or sharing it with your friend:)
13. In a rush after an at-home manicure? Stick your fingers in cold water for 3 minutes and voila!
14. Next time your at Starbucks, stock up on those brown napkins as they’re perfect for a shiny face! Just blot the skin with one to soak up a little extra un-wanted grease.
15. Warm your lash curler under hot water or with your blow dryer before using for a considerably curlier result that lasts!
16. To perk up your pony tail, go buy a little bondage tape at your friendly neighborhood adult toy shop and wrap it up in that. Good excuse to go to the toy store, right?
17. Blend a few lipsticks together on your cheeks for a romantic, natural-looking “I’m flustered” flush!
18. Apply foundation to your lips for a good base.
19. Rub face primer on your body to enhance and even out skin tone anywhere you want to draw a little attention.
20. Tap lip gloss under your brows to highlight and lift your eyes. Soft, shiny pinks that aren’t sticky work best!
21. Need an instant lip plumper? Just dab a sparkly eye shadow in the center of your lips for an instant fullness effect!
22. Does your eyeliner crumble when applying? Stick it in the freezer 15 minute prior to applying and it will glide on seamlessly.
23. Out of makeup remover? Use body lotion instead instead! I promise, it works.
24. Keep a blowout lasting days longer by sleeping on a silk or satin pillowcase.
25. Stop flyaway hair! Spray Static Guard on your comb or brush. Or smooth an antistatic dryer sheet along your head.
26. Another great use for an old toothbrush? Apply hairspray the brush your brows upward and outward to keep in perfect place!
27. Get your eyeshadow to stay in place by priming lids with moisturizer and foundation.
28. To make lipstick last longer, allow it to set for a few minutes after applying, blot lips with tissue and dust them with powder, then apply another coat.
29. The best time to apply lotion is right after a shower or bath, when skin is still damp.
30. To keep lipstick from bleeding, pat a little concealer around your lips.
Phew!! You got all that?! With this list, there is no beauty problem too big or too small that can’t be solved. Let us know what your favorite beauty tip is over on our facebook page and maybe we can keep this list going!
1. Rock Some Textured Tights
Yep, you can definitely pull this off! The best part is, all you need is a LBD, which leads me to #2:
2. Sport Your Little Black Dress
Hopefully you’ve invested in the perfect LBD to take you through any occasion. All you need to do for the holidays is add a little glam!
Throw on a cute cardigan, statement necklace, textured tights, fab heels….the options are endless! A few other trends may be fun to try to incorporate…
3. Be Bold With Leather (or pleather depending on your budget)
Ahhh….a leather LBD is a show-stopper! Need something more subtle?
Try some leather accents on a cute top,
Or fab bootie!!! More into jewelry?
3. Make A Statement
So many beautiful statement necklaces out there! Pair it with a simple top and let it speak for itself.
Need more ways to glam up your wardrobe?
4. Sparkle in Sequins
Yes…it’s really true and so many fun ways to sparkle!
Sparkly sweaters are super popular this year.
Go bold with all-over sparkle!
Or tone it down with a flashy pair of pants.
Even more simple…a sequin peterpan collar you can pair with any basic top.
The options are endless! Or…there’s always something less sparkly.
5. Let Your Coat Do The Talking
Whether it’s a jacket, blazer, or peacoat…throw a cute scarf on and you’re good to go!
Try one or try all! Okay, maybe only a few at a time but whatever you choose, you are sure to look fabulous this holiday season….
Need a quick glam look for a holiday party? Jane Iredale has you covered!! Watch this short clip to see how only a few products can make you sparkle. Jane Iredale mineral makeup is amazing for your skin and any product can be used for any area of the face.
Gilded and Gifted Holiday Collection
Snappy Brush Wand:
The Snappy Brush Wand has three interchangeable magnetic brushes to use with the Glamour Eye and Lip Palette, or with any favorite eye makeup. It fits easily into even the smallest clutch for touch-ups on the go. A fun stocking stuffer!
Brilliant Refillable Compact:
The sparkling Brilliant Limited Edition Refillable Compact will brighten up holiday makeup bags this season. Finished in a luxe rose gold and adorned with a Swarovski crystal, it holds any jane iredale PurePressed Base, PureMatte or Beyond Matte powder refill, and is packaged in a gift-ready box.
Call (801)776-2220 for information on pricing!
Even Superheroes can’t escape the harmful effects of sun exposure. Hugh Jackman posted this handsome, yet somber, selfie to Instragram yesterday following a procedure on his nose. Nope, not a nose-job… skin cancer removal.
Hugh Jackman’s wife urged him to get a suspicious “mark” on his nose checked which came back as basal cell carcinoma. This type of cancer is the most commonly occurring form there is and is caused by unprotected sun exposure. Luckily, it’s slow growing but important to have checked as early as possible to prevent spreading. Hence, Hugh’s Instagram plea for y’all to, “Get yourself checked. And USE sunscreen!!!”
Dr. Thompson expresses the importance of daily sunscreen to all patients and recommends using in conjunction with a good antioxidant for maximum protection. Not only does the powerful duo help minimize cancer risk, it prevents premature aging as well.
He has good reason to make such a suggestion as he performs hundreds of Mohs Reconstruction surgeries to repair cancer removed by many dermatologists in Utah. Patients often come in with more than one site and many times grafts are necessary for restoration. Most patients are initially quite devastated but amazed at the final outcome. It’s not an easy process to go through but patients feel deep gratitude for Dr. Thompson and his ability to repair the damage and restore facial features.
“ I just want to say how thankful I am of Dr. Thompson. He changed my life after repairing my face from skin cancer surgery. My face looks nice and I don’t have to use a lot of makeup like before to cover up. Thank you Dr. Thompson!” EG on Apr 15th, 2013
Take Hugh’s advice and wear that sunscreen and get yourself checked, especially if you identify any suspicious moles or marks on your body. What should you look for? Well, the classic teaching is based off of the acronym, ABCD.
- A is for Asymmetry: The first thing to look for is a mole that looks different on one side versus the other.
- B is for Border: Moles that have jagged or irregular edges require further examination.
- C is for Color: Moles that have three or more colors are begging for attention.
- D is for Diameter: Moles that are larger than 6mm, classically, should be watching closely. If you notice any mole that is growing rapidly, it should be tested as soon as possible. But if it’s been a large mole since you were in grade school, the likelihood of this mole being atypical is very unlikely.
And if you have a mole that is at all symptomatic, whether itching, painful, tingly or burning, definitely get in for a biopsy from your dermatologist.
Actually, it’s age 50 that is now the new 30 according to the American Academy of Facial & Reconstructive Surgery! The AAFPRS, of which Dr. Thompson is a part of, conducted a survey of approximately 500 women between the ages of 45 -60 with a number of questions asking about aging and cosmetic facial surgery and procedures. Almost 70% said they feel at least 6 years younger than their chronological age.
So why not look on the outside how you feel on the inside? The survey showed that women are more open to cosmetic surgical and non-surgical treatments to slow down the signs of aging. Of the group of women surveyed, 72% have tried facial peels, while 50% have had injections of neurotoxins or dermal fillers, and 15% have had cosmetic facial surgery.
The majority of women in the study, 70%, stated that a milestone birthday affected the way they feel about their appearance. Twenty four percent were most concerned with looking their real age, with sagging cheeks or eye bags (39%), fine lines and wrinkles (33%), and “turkey neck” (28%) topping their list of aesthetic concerns.
“Today, women in their 40′s and 50′s are more confident and beautiful than ever before,” said AAFFPRS president and Facial Plastic Surgeon Ed Farrior, MD, in a news release. “With growing number of minimally invasive and nonsurgical options, they are able to maintain their youthful appearance for longer.”
We really enjoyed treating this AMAZING mom to a fabulous Mother’s Day Makeover this summer. She was the winner of our Mother’s Day Makeover contest on facebook this year with the largest number of votes from friends and fellow facebookers from all over the country! See her story HERE.
The prized package included a facial CO2 Laser Resurfacing treatment, Juvederm, Botox and a Jane Iredale makeup makeover. Gorgeous before and after, inside & out! She was kind enough to document the process and share her feelings on the entire experience at Thompson Facial Plastics.
This was our lucky mama on her first consultation with Dr. Thompson. She had concerns about acne scarring, wrinkles around eyes and forehead and overall skin texture concerns.
She decided to start with Botox and waited 6 weeks before doing the CO2 laser treatment. She couldn’t believe the difference just the Botox made and has been ecstatic since!! See her BOTOX CHRONICLES HERE.
Now time for her big skin resurfacing CO2 laser treatment…
Day 1 – Before
She came in early for numbing cream and had her face cleaned and prepped by Sydnee. She looks pretty excited to have her skin burned off, right?
Day 1 – After
The smile is definitely gone at this point! After a quick 30 minute procedure she mentioned her face was feeling really hot and blew air conditioning on it in the car during the ride home. This is completely normal and typically lasts only a few hours after the procedure. Patients report varying levels of pain that typically subsides within hours of the procedure. The skin does remain quite red after and various calming creams and ointments are applied to aide in healing throughout the week.
Due to the trauma, the skin rapidly begins to repair itself. She felt fine at this point but took great direction and covered her face with a scarf when going outdoors. Sun exposure at this time is not recommended (for obvious reasons). And definitely don’t undergo this procedure 2 days prior to your class reunion, FYI!
The skin is darker here as it is starting to slough off and renew itself.
You can see in this picture that the dead skin around the mouth and cheeks is gone and she reported feeling excitement seeing the fresh skin underneath. This process continued over the next 5 days.
Here she is and the smile is back! Her skin is “fresh as a baby’s bum”, she says! The lighting makes in kind of hard to see but all of the dead skin has sloughed off at this point revealing fresh new skin. Now she just needs to make sure she uses a good sunscreen with zinc and titanium oxide each morning under her makeup. This will keep her face smooth and prevent sun damage and premature aging.
Here’s the big final reveal following her makeover!! She had decided to invest in some Latisse a few months prior and has never looked back. Look at those amazing lashes that are completely natural!! No glue, no refills, no hassle. We used Jane Iredale’s Liquid & Pressed Minerals as well as their Soft Peach lipgloss (our personal fave). We threw on some Stila blush and eyeliner to complete the look!
We sure brought out the inner model in this beauty:)
Our personal favorite pic from the shoot!
Thanks to our fabulous makeover model and we are overjoyed, but not surprised, that she is so happy with the results! Here’s a little snippet of her thank-you post on Facebook:
“Thank u all ~ I’m not kidding I’m still shocked/ excited that I won a contest better than that.. THIS CONTEST!!!! I’m speechless & I still can’t say Thank U ALL ENOUGH!!! :0>……from Dr. Scott Thompson to Jenny & the Entire team/staff!!! I couldn’t be more pleased with the success of this entire process. I still can’t believe I won this contest!! My friends & family ask….was/ Is it really worth it?!? ( those are the ones that haven’t seen me yet face-2-face. Everyone else I run into , can’t help but instantaneously blurt out,” OH MY GOSH!!! Your SKIN …… ITS GLOWING, ITS SOOOO SILKY BABY SMOOTH!! Oh my goodness, I’m not kidding,it’s not uncomfortable for me, bc I feel so grateful for the opportunity , many stare. I’m happy to share my story bc if I can help one person who has ever hoped, dreamed , wished for JUST a lil less appearance of acne scars, scars, The purple/ red marks , pitting, moles wrinkles, sun spots, freckles…etc. for a few areas to be given a new chance @ having literally NEW NEW baby skin, ITS much more than worth it. Not just bc of the process and deep down I always hoped for smoother skin that wasn’t a constant reminder of my ugly duckling days as a teenager whom was blessed w/ acne , acne scars, and the pitting it had left:(. I. Never DREAMED I would ever see my NEW SKIN on ” MY FACE!”!!!! NOT IN THIS LIFE!!!
I would do it ALL OVER AGAIN!! BUT ….ONLY …..IF DR. SCOTT K. THOMPSON IS ON THE OTHER END OF THIS PROCESS!!! HE IS MY ONE AND ONLY!!! THANK U ALL WHO MADE THIS POSSIBLE! Voters….everyone!!!”
Be sure you’re a fan of our facebook page for opportunities to enter this makeover contest or one of the other many contests we do throughout the year!
Also, to see her YouTube video, click on the link: Mother’s Day Makeover Winner From Start to Finish!!
Think pumpkin is only good for pie? Think again! The benefits of a Pumpkin Peel facial are numerous and it’s not just something to enjoy in the fall. This time of year is best though as you’re likely spending less time outdoors now that summer is officially over.
Grab your Pumpkin Spice Latte and come in to to see Jill to try one! Pumpkin Peels are buy one, get one FREE through the month of November so bring a friend or come in again next month! Here are some of the benefits you’ll surely enjoy…
1) Skin Exfoliation.
Pumpkin Peels use the enzyme of the pumpkin to exfoliate the skin for maximum smoothness. They are best for facial skin resurfacing and less beneficial for hyper-pigmentation. DermaPen treatments and photofacials are better treatment options for tackling pigment.
2) No harsh reactions.
People with sensitive skin and acne benefit from the pumpkin peel because it’s less intrusive than a glycolic peel. It is full of beta carotene and vitamin A, which help stimulate circulation and promote healing.
3) Skin Hydration.
The Pumpkin Peel binds moisture to the skin leaving your face plump and glowing.
4) Bacteria destruction.
Don’t you love the feeling of fully clean skin? The enzymes help kill bacteria on the surface of the skin lowering your chances for developing acne and other blemishes.
5) Softens fine lines and wrinkles.
The Pumpkin Peel introduces vitamins and nutrients into the skin resulting in immediate skin clarity and smoothness.
6) Preparation for more aggressive treatments.
For more information on Pumpkin Peels or to schedule an appointment with Jill, just give us a call!
"Thank you for your time and patience with us the other day. I was very impressed and touched at the care and genuine concern you gave me while wrapping up our visit and preparing for surgery. I didn’t feel rushed or hurried…"