Plastic Surgery Blog
Fractional CO2 Laser Skin Resurfacing
has been voted
THE #1 ANTIAGING BREAKTHROUGH in the past decade by WebMD.
Call (801)776-2220 to schedule your first treatment soon!
Stay tuned for her before and after results and “like” our facebook page for more opportunities to enter future contests!
Chances are, you either are a mother or at least have one! We know it’s not easy and our faces sometimes show it. The sleepless nights, frequent scowls and worried brows can leave lines and creases that age you. And if you didn’t notice, your kids or grandkids have likely clued you in!
Many patients come in because their children and/or grandchildren ask why they look angry when they feel perfectly happy on the inside. Loose skin and wrinkles can leave you looking tired and/or angry when you are often feeling happy and energetic! Patients tell us they just want to look on the outside like they feel on the inside.
Luckily, there are many different options to correct these concerns and the confidence and renewed energy patients feel from them is astounding! Botox can smooth scowl lines and often lifts the brow leaving patients looking more refreshed and youthful. Fillers such as Juvederm, Radiesse & Restylane restore fullness in the face and help fill in lines and wrinkles. Surgical procedures, if recommended by Dr. Thompson, provide drastic improvements in lifting and removing excess skin to restore patient’s natural features leaving them with expressions that match their inner self. Throughout the years I’ve worked for Dr. Thompson I have heard many patients say post-procedure that they have a renewed sense of confidence and overall improvement of their outlook on life. Those close to them notice it as well in their interactions with them and appreciate the positive impact it has made in their lives.
If you find yourself in a similar situation, come visit Dr. Thompson for more information on how to restore your natural features and feel like yourself again. Mom…you deserve it!
Facial cosmetic procedures are riding on all-time high figures. Indeed, the numbers do not lie when the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) recently released the 2012 statistics regarding cosmetic and plastic surgery procedures. From 116,086 in 2011, the data for facelift procedures went up to 119,006 procedures in 2012. But the sub-story to these particular data: the increase is attributable to the proliferation of noninvasive and minimally invasive face procedures, such as botox and mini facelift.
Renowned Utah Facelift Surgeon Dr. Scott Thompson is well aware of the undeniable popularity of facial cosmetic procedures, but at the same time mindful also of the increasing jump towards less invasive options. For him, this trend is inevitable because, while many seek to improve their appearance, they want to achieve it with minimal risks as possible.
This is typified in one of the minimally invasive procedures where Dr. Thompson truly excels in: a mini facelift surgery that he prefers calling MACS Lift. Indeed, this is quite a revolutionary procedure undertaken to achieve long-lasting facial rejuvenation at very minimal costs (both time and money).
So what does MACS Lift do? Like a typical facelift surgery (rhytidectomy), MACS Lift Utah is aimed to improve a host of facial skin issues such as sagging skin tissues, jowling, midfacial laxity, and deep facial lines. However unlike other supposedly less invasive procedures, MACS Lift is designed to address deeper tissues beneath the skin.
Speaking from experience and proven skills, Dr. Thompson believes procedures such as “weekend lift” and “thread lift” are undeniably minimally invasive: not only do they fail to address deeper skin tissues, the procedures also provide minimal results. The Double Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon is emphatic about this point.
From the moment of consultation, Dr. Thompson will determine whether a patient is recommended to undergo conventional facelift or mini facelift (MACS lift) option. Needless to say, MACS lift is not for all. Take a look at the photo gallery of past patients who have undergone this procedure.
In summary, the other MACS Lift benefits include:
– Quicker Recovery
– No General Anesthesia
– Shorter Scar
– Long Lasting Results
– Less Bruising
– Restore Youthful Facial Shape
– Lower Cost
Schedule a consultation now with Dr. Thompson to determine your chances with MACS Lift procedure. You may please do a reservation by calling our office at (801) 776-2220 or via this Reservation Form.
The popularity of cosmetic procedures these days can no longer be denied. Even the economics side is agreeable to this fact: the American Society of Plastic Surgeons recently reported that the total number of cosmetic procedures performed in the U.S. has reached 14.6 million in 2012 or a 5 percent increase compared to the 2011 data.
A gloomy facet to this popularity, however, is that an increasing number of people have claimed to have been shortchanged after undergoing a surgical procedure. Many of these claims are true indeed – not just fodder for the tabloids. Aside from cost and effort considerations, going through a lousy surgery can compromise or, in worse cases, even damage your physical appearance. To avoid hassle and cosmetic disaster, you must be discerning in your trip to a plastic surgeon’s office. Do it properly the first time!
Let’s say, you are planning to undergo a Facelift Surgery. How can you maximize your benefits from the surgery and practically get it right the first time?
1. Know Your Issue. Since you are thinking of having facelift or rhytidectomy done, definitely you have facial skin problems that you want to be solved surgically. Know the specific problems you want to be addressed. Is it a jowl or fleshy lower cheek? Loose skin on the neck?
2. Communicate Clearly Your Goal. The direct consequence of knowing your problem is that you can share it to your chosen surgeon. Be clear, open and straightforward with your communication. Expect or seek the same level of communication from your doctor. Essentially, determine if your cosmetic aspiration is attainable – if not fully, what extent of compromise can be achieved.
3. Be Realistic. It is ideal to have an optimistic and enthusiastic mindset, but be sure to tame such optimism with what is surgically possible. If your expectations are way too high, you are bound to be dissatisfied no matter the results. However, if warranted during consultation or post-operation, determine from your surgeon what else can be done.
4. Know Metes & Bounds of Rhytidectomy. One of the trends these days in the cosmetic world is specialization. For a specific cosmetic problem, there’s a specific cosmetic procedure for that. Be mindful that facelift or rhytidectomy surgery is primarily designed to get rid of loose and sagging skin of the lower face and neck. Specifically, it is intended to rejuvenate sagging cheeks, “jowls,” loose skin of the neck (“turkey neck”), or deepening lines at the corners of the mouth. While facelift can dramatically improve overall facial appearance, cosmetic issues in the mid and upper face should consider other procedures/techniques like endoscopic forehead and midface lift surgeries.
5. Determine Other Options. You have other options, of course, aside from surgery procedures. There are less invasive procedures that may involve the use of chemical peels or laser technology. But perhaps those minimally invasive procedures are not too big on dramatic results, so determine as well their limitations and advantages.
6. Pick the Best Plastic Surgeon. By this, it means that, really, you have to pick the best plastic surgeon you can get to perform the facelift procedure on you. Most of the tips given above are only achievable if you go for a surgeon with extensive training and experience in performing rhytidectomy procedures. It should be a surgeon who values the need of patients to know well the pros and cons regarding facelift. Moreover, it is a huge plus if your surgeon is board certified by his peers.
Dr. Scott Thompson is a Double Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon based in Salt Lake City. For years, he is a highly regarded specialist in Utah facelift surgery procedures. Aside from being skilled and respected, Dr. Thompson puts premium on one-on-one consultation with each patient to discuss all angles that can help him or her achieve the best yet natural cosmetic appearance. Most importantly, he will make sure that you work closely with him in attaining the right and proper facelift the first time you have it.
Schedule a consultation now with Dr. Thompson to determine your chances with face lift surgery. You may do the reservations by calling our office at (801) 776-2220 or via this Reservation Form.
1. DRINK UP! One of the most basic things you can do is drink plenty of water and eat healthy diet with many fruit and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are loaded with antioxidants and are very effective at improving the look of your skin.
2. MOISTURIZE Moisturizers help protect your skin from the environment and keep water trapped in our skin. Moisturizers are formulated to treat different skin types. People with normal skin need a light moisturizer that contains natural oils. Those with dry skin require heavier lotions with humectants to lock in moisture and those with oily skin should look for an oil free moisturizer that won’t clog pores.
3. EXFOLIATE Chemicals peels are a great way to make your skin look healthier & brighter while addressing other skin conditions such as pigmentation, fine lines, and acne. PCA recommends monthly in office exfoliation treatments to ensure proper desquamation (shedding of dead skin cells) and to assist in the penetration of active topical products.
4. PROTECT There is nothing that fights aging better then proper sun protection. A broad spectrum sunscreen along with topical antioxidants is essential to prevent further damage. Antioxidants work as a second defense to sunscreen by blocking UV rays, infrared radiation, pollution, and lifestyle factors that generate damaging free radicals that cause prematurely aged skin. When looking for a sunscreen it is important to get one labeled as “broad-spectrum” as they provide protection against both ultraviolet A (aging rays) and ultraviolet B (burning rays). It is also important to reapply every two hours when out in the sun to assure adequate protection.
A combination of regular in office treatments, topical antioxidants, and daily sun protection can effectively preserve, promote and protect healthy and youthful skin!
With a surgical procedure, you may achieve skin rejuvenation but it can cost you a few weeks or even months of downtime. This means that for a period of time, you cannot work or engage in strenuous activities. It is indeed one of the sacrifices that you should be willing to shell out to attain better skin appearance later. But then, you may opt for the non- and minimally-invasive alternatives in cosmetic enhancement.
Utah Facial Plastic Surgeon Dr. Scott Thompson provides less risky and less downtime options in dermal fillers, through such established product names as Restylane®, Perlane®, JUVÉDERM™, Radiesse®, Sculptra™, and even fat fillers.
Upon initial consultation, Dr. Thompson will determine outright if you are a good candidate for less invasive options. He will discuss with you about your goals and expectations. If you have some issues regarding dermal fillers, more thorough medical and physical tests will be conducted. If fillers are really not suitable, the Board Certified Surgeon will lay down other alternatives (likely to be surgery). But rest assured that Dr. Thompson will not perform any procedure on which you are not truly confident with.
In general, Dermal Fillers Utah have active ingredients to improve the texture of your skin (fine lines, wrinkles, etc) and to sculpt certain facial areas (lips, cheeks, etc). Compared to surgery options, fillers are usually preferred to treat mild skin flaws because they tolerated well by most patients and are much safer when used properly. And as been mentioned, the minimally invasive alternatives also require less downtime and faster recovery pace. Although predominantly applied on facial skin, fillers are also useful for skin issues on the neck, lips, forehead, among others.
But then again, you should bear in mind that each brand of dermal filler has specific indicated uses, as well as advantages and disadvantages. This is why Dr. Thompson will provide you with details of each of the filler products. The Salt Lake City Surgeon has extensive training in reconstructive procedures of the face and neck. He has undeniable track record of successful cosmetic procedures that bring about the desired face and look of each of his patients.
If you want to schedule a personal consult now, please call Dr. Thompson’s office at (801) 776-2220 or course your reservation thru this Consultation Request Form.
As has been demonstrated once again, the popularity of a product or procedure often has more to do with its catchy name or association with a celebrity or well-known event than with any objective measure. Such is the case with the so called “vampire facelift.” First of all, the term “facelift” should probably not be applied to this procedure, just as the so called “liquid facelift” (injection of multiple vials of filler into the soft tissues of the face) isn’t really a facelift in the traditional sense.
Facelift refers to a procedure intended to lift tissues that have migrated downward over time and is still the gold standard in long-lasting facial rejuvenation. The vampire and liquid facelifts are non-surgical procedures that add volume directly to the facial tissues in the form of human plasma and/or hyaluronic acid fillers. While these injections may result in a more youthful appearance, they don’t actually “lift” the face at all. With the vampire facelift, the patient’s own blood is placed in a centrifuge, and the plasma (PRP) is separated from the red blood cells. The PRP is then injected in conjunction with a traditional hyaluronic acid filler (Restylane, Juvederm or others). This simultaneous injection is thought to increase the longevity and effectiveness of the filler.
The only problem is that no scientific studies have objectively evaluated this procedure for actual efficacy. So as is often the case, the cart is put before the horse, and a procedure with no proven scientific benefit is being aggressively promoted as the latest and greatest in facial rejuvenation. My general advice in regard to procedures touted as “breakthrough,” “amazing,” “groundbreaking,” or “revolutionary,” or that are heavily marketed and seem too good to be true, is that they most likely aren’t as effective as claimed and really are too good to be true. My approach regarding surgical and non-surgical procedures is to wait until scientific studies, time, and experience have proven a procedure to be beneficial. At that point, I would consider recommending it to my patients. This approach not only avoids unnecessary complications and adverse effects, but also assures patients that I won’t recommend that they spend their hard earned money on an unproven procedure.
To learn more from Dr. Thompson about all the facelift option, join us for FACELIFT TODAY: Facts, Fiction & Fantasy on April 18th. CLICK HERE to learn more and/or call our office to reserve seating.
Despite being unwelcome and unwanted, facial ageing manifests itself in various forms. But there’s no need to cry a river for it, because there are numerous cosmetic surgery options to combat the onslaught of facial skin woes. As it is, you need to have handy knowledge on the appropriate procedures to undertake whenever you start seeing ugly facial signs. Cosmetic surgery has progressed tremendously that there is now a specialized procedure for almost all specialized cosmetic concerns. (Hint: It is not always about facelift surgery.)
If you are between 40 to 50 years old and experiencing early signs of midfacial and brow ptosis (sagging), you are likely a good candidate for temporal lift procedure – sometimes known as “mini mid-face lift”. With this procedure, excess tissue surrounding your eye is eliminated and tightened to produce a cleaner and smoother appearance. This procedure is primarily intended for minor work – without obviously altering the overall look – addressing some of the obvious ageing that appears on the face.
Double Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Scott Thompson will provide appropriate recommendations regarding your suitability to the procedure, based on your specific skin condition and personal aesthetic goals. He will perform a comprehensive analysis and solicit your inputs. Be straightforward and inquisitive during the consultation to prevent unnecessary hitches during actual temporal lift procedure. Furthermore, get to know as much about the surgical approach and treatable areas during the consultation time.
Expert Facial Plastic Surgeon Dr. Thompson utilizes a special camera during the procedure, and incisions are made very small and hidden within the hair. Within seven to ten days from operation, recovery is already on the order. This is indeed quite a pretty fast procedure requiring minimal recovery duration when performed as a stand-alone.
Schedule a consultation now with Dr. Thompson to determine your chances with temporal lift. You may do the reservations by calling our office at (801) 776-2220 or via this Reservation Form.
At least in the United States, there is quite a general consensus that fuller lips are more appealing. Think Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson, etcetera. Having thin lips is not unappealing per se – but there’s a sense of belief that fuller lips mean more pronounced beauty and youth. When you come to this world, you are either born with full lips or with small, thin lips. However, it is also possible to lose lip volume and definition as you increase in age.
Being a common aesthetic desire to increase lip volume, lip enhancing procedures are quite common as well. You have to know your cosmetic options with respect to lip enhancement or lip augmentation.
Utah Facial Plastic Surgeon Dr. Scott Thompson believes that there’s no single procedure that is perfect for all people. For this reason, he makes different lip enhancing options available to his patients in Salt Lake City and elsewhere. Indeed, he offers a myriad of treatments from more permanent surgery options as fat injections to non-surgical, temporary enlargement with fillers such as Restylane® and Juvederm®. The choice is really up to you.
Dr. Thompson is mindful that the lips are a detailed 3-dimensional facial structure, hence their enhancement should preserve proper proportions with the rest of your facial appearance. The Double Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon will undertake a comprehensive anatomic analysis to design an individualized treatment on you. He will utilize his proven surgical skills and experience to provide you Lip Enhancement Salt Lake City with most pleasing, natural results.
During consultations, Dr. Thompson will discuss with you the appropriate lip procedure based on your personal circumstances and goals. As it is, you will be provided with an overview of what to expect post-operation, like the Before&After Photos of past patients.
Whatever choice you make, Dr. Thompson himself will perform either the lip surgery procedure or the administering of fillers and injectables. Moreover, the Utah Plastic Surgeon will tell you the recovery options and realistic expectations to have when your procedure is done. He emphasizes to all patients that, while the lip procedure can improve their appearance, they are still the same person when they go out from his surgery office.
For one-on-one discussion with Dr. Thompson, call us at the Salt Lake City Office at (801) 776-2220 or thru this Consultation Request Form.
"Thank you for your time and patience with us the other day. I was very impressed and touched at the care and genuine concern you gave me while wrapping up our visit and preparing for surgery. I didn’t feel rushed or hurried…"