Skin Care Salt Lake City
Why Skin Ages
Scientists have proven that exposure to elements such as sun, smoke, and air pollution can cause premature wrinkling, age spots, and other signs of aging. New research specifically shows the UVA rays, one section of the sun’s radiation, are largely responsible for premature signs of aging in the skin.
HERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT UVA RADIATION:
- UVA rays generate free radicals that break down collagen and cause premature aging
- UVA rays cause DNA mutations that lead to aggressive forms of skin cancer
- UVA rays go to all layers of the skin; UVB rays go no deeper than the outer layers of the skin.
- UVA rays penetrate glass, are present year- round, and are 1000x more plentiful than UVB rays
- Most sunscreens don’t completely protect you from UVA rays.
- Until now we only knew how to protect against UVA and UVB… But what about the rest of the spectrum?
- Aging Infrared Radiation (IRA) has been proven to penetrate the skin deeper than UVA and UVB causing free radical damage at the dermal layers – the tissue responsible for skin’s structure.
- Neutralize free radicals and prevent oxidative damage caused by IRA and UV exposure.
- Prevent IRA and UV induced collagen breakdown while promoting new collagen synthesis.
- Increase skin’s natural photoprotection by 8x
- Remain protective in the skin for 3 days without being rubbed or washed off!
Sun protection factor (SPF) indicates protection against UVB rays only. Sunscreens described as broad-spectrum protect against both UVB and UVA rays.
Be sure to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and a variety of active ingredients. These may be more likely to protect skin from a full spectrum of UV radiation. Ingredients that offer UVA protection include:
- Avobenzone (Parsol 1789®)
- Titanium dioxide
- Zinc oxide
WHAT CAN I DO TO PROTECT MY SKIN?
BROAD SPECTRUM SUNSCREENS
The best protection from UVA radiation is to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. SkinCeuticals sunscreens are formulated with combinations of highly effective ingredients to provide true broad-spectrum protection. Obagi and SkinCeuticals carry many different formulas with options for oily and dry skin. SkinCeutical Physical Fusion UV Defense is tinted for extra coverage and is popular among our patients.
The body uses antioxidants to protect itself from free radical attack caused by UV exposure. Supplementing the body’s natural reservoir of antioxidants with a topical serum such as SkinCeuticals Serum 15 can provide additional protection form premature aging.
WHEN USED TOGETHER, A SKINCEUTICAL ANTIOXIDANT AND SUNSCREEN PROVIDE THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE PROTECTION AGAINST INFRARED RADIATION A- AND UV INDUCED PHOTOAGING.
Dr. Thompson offers an array of skin care and skin rejuvenation procedures. Click on the links below to learn more about the skin procedures he offers.