Fuller, more voluminous lips have become popular among both women and men of all ages. As we age, we lose volume and definition in the lips. When volume is added to the lips it gives the patient a more youthful appearance. Lip injections can create various lip shapes and sizes making each lip plump unique. Here is some information on what to do before and after lip injections.
Before Lip Injections
The first step is to research lip injectors in your area. Do your due diligence prior to ensure you are going to an experienced, well-educated provider. The best information comes from friends and family who have had a good experience with a provider they can honestly recommend.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, we strongly recommend you do not get this treatment done since there is no research or studies to know how it may effect your baby.
One Week Prior
To minimize bruising and swelling, we recommend avoiding blood thinning medications and supplements such as aspirin, ibuprofen, Vitamin E, fish oil, and garlic.
24 Hours Prior
Do your best to avoid alcohol and caffeinated beverages 24 hours prior to also help minimize bruising and swelling.
After Lip Injections
- Immediately after your lip injection treatment at UFP you will receive an ice pack. When ice is gently applied to the lips, it will help reduce swelling and sooth discomfort. If you are experiencing pain after your treatment you can also take Tylenol (acetaminophen).
- Oral Arnica can be taken immediately after to reduce bruising. Arnica is available for purchase in both our Draper and Layton offices.
- If you are prone to cold sores, the needle punctures could possibly contribute to a cold sore outbreak. Please let your provider know so the proper medication can be prescribed.
- After your lip injections treatment avoid overheating your face for at least 10 hours. Activities to avoid include: strenuous activities, saunas, tanning and hot tubs.
- Lip balm or Aquaphor can be applied, just make sure that either one is being applied with a clean applicator.
- It is completely normal to see some unevenness, bumps and fullness. Allow at least 2 weeks for the filler and swelling to settle. These types of issues usually resolve on their own.
If you start to experience any of the below complications, contact our office immediately.
- Blanched skin where lips were injected
- Red lips that may or may not be hot to the touch
- Fever and/or chills
- Severe pain
For more questions about lip injections in Draper or Layton, Utah, please call our office at (801) 776-2220 or contact us HERE.