What is Bellafill?

Bellafill is dermal filler that is FDA approved for the treatment of acne scars as well as general volume loss in the face. It differs from most dermal fillers in that it is not made up of hyaluronic acid, but of collagen gel and PMMA (polymethylemethacrylate) microspheres. Bellafill adds volume to the skin to lift and smooth out pitted acne scars or wrinkles to the level of the surrounding skin.

How does Bellafill work?

Bellafill works by replacing depressed areas in the skin due to acne scarring or aging. The collagen in Bellafill provides immediate volume and lift while the PMMA microspheres remain in place and create a matrix that supports collagen production in your skin for lasting improvement. Conclusive studies of Bellafill have documented that the correction mechanism of this drug stems from a combined action of the patient’s own connective tissue, comprising 80% of the effect, and the microspheres from the injection, that make up the remaining 20%.

How is Bellafill injected?

Bellafill is injected into the affected area using a subdermal tunneling technique that delivers the drug into the dermal-subdermal junction, or the point where the dermis layer meets the subcutaneous fat layer, right under the depressed area where it will essentially act as a supporting structure underneath the skin. After this initial injection of Bellafill into the skin, the collagen component will be assimilated within a month, and will slowly be replaced by the patient’s own connective tissues, which will take up to 3 months to completely propagate as Bellafill helps the dermis layer to recover its former thickness. The non-resorbable microspheres will then work in synergy with the newly reproduced connective tissues to smooth out acne scarring and wrinkles.

What should I following my Bellafill treatment?

There is no downtime following a Bellafill treatment and you can return to normal activities right away.

As will any injectable dermal filler, mild swelling and redness can occur at the treatment site. The patient may also feel lumps or granulomas at the site of injection immediately after, but there is no need for alarm as this can be easily resolved by your doctor. For any unusual or extreme drug reaction, do not hesitate to get in touch with your doctor immediately.

How long does Bellafill last?

Bellafill provides a microscopic ‘matrix’ to support your body’s own natural collagen production, and ultimately strengthen the layers of the skin. This provides the support your skin needs for wrinkle correction and younger-looking skin, with results that last. In clinical trials, Bellafill showed significant improvement in smile lines at 3 months and 6 months after treatment, and continued to show improvement up to 5 years following treatment. Learn more about the recent study on Bellafill results HERE.

How much Bellafill will I need?

Each patient is unique with their own distinctive facial structure, skin condition, wrinkle development and expectations for treatment. As an experienced facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Thompson can make appropriate recommendations at a free consultation. To understand the different grades of wrinkle correction, view the infographic below.

In The News

Bellafill, Botox & Liquid Facelifts on Good Things Utah

Bellafill in the news:

Just Ask Jess

First Name * :

Last Name * :

Email * :

Phone * :

Primary Procedure of Interest :

Question/Message * :

Subscribe me to Utah Facial Plastics newsletter.

Call Now - (801) 776-2220