It goes without saying that your goal for any cosmetic surgery is a successful outcome, greater self-confidence and the enhancement of your self-esteem. A not-so-successful outcome may mean additional surgery and heartache. Deciding to undergo cosmetic surgery is a decision you will live with for the rest of your life, so it is a decision that you should not make lightly.
So, it goes without further saying, that your choice of a cosmetic surgeon is equally important as the decision to have the surgery itself.
Here are 5 things to think about before you make a cosmetic surgery decision:
1. Does the surgeon have experience in the procedure you want? Each area of cosmetic surgery requires different skills. Operating on a breast is quite different from operating on a face. Ask your surgeon how he or she trained in the procedure you want and how many times they have performed it.
2. Have you considered the aesthetics of your desired procedure? What one person finds beautiful may be unattractive to another. It’s important to find a cosmetic surgeon that shares your aesthetic tastes. Compare the results for the procedure you want – usually provided by the surgeon as before-and-after photos. Do the results appeal to you? Take a selfie for reference. For facial procedures, look for photos of patients that have a similar facial structure, are close to your age and have some of the same concerns. Do they look like you want to look after your surgery?
3. Do you feel comfortable in the office setting? What are your first impressions of the surgeon’s office space and support team?
4. Do you feel a connection with your surgeon? It’s important to feel comfortable with your cosmetic surgeon and their support team. Do you feel like you can trust them to recommend what is safe and right for you?
5. Last, but not least, is the surgeon board certified? The government does not require a surgeon to be specifically trained in the procedures they offer. Some doctors with general surgery or other medical training offer cosmetic surgery in pursuit of greater profits. Dr. Thompson is board certified in plastic surgery – the most dependable way of assessing whether a cosmetic surgeon is properly trained.
Dr. Thompson welcomes new patients. He is eager to discuss any concerns you may have. The new year is the perfect time to call to schedule a consultation: (801) 776-2220.